mandag den 10. november 2014

Bush life south of Alice..

Started out with a long day (169 k's) yesterday. Well prepared after 3 rest days and a good sleep - full of energy.. Left camp already at 5.45 and headed south through Alice Springs. After 4 k's I looked down and realized that I had forgotten my big water bottle in the fridge of my cabin. Always bring 3 1/2 liters water with 2 smaller bottles on the back of the bike.
 Back again - loosing my peloton people - and meeting a locked gate going in to camp. Fortunately Henry, the sweeper of the day came shortly after. Got the bottle and was absolutely last out of camp. That made my day different than planned - but good. Stopped and had a chat with Henry, rode with Ursula and Rae that I catched up with until lunch and went together with Nellie for quite a while in the afternoon.
 The temperature was pleasant as it was partly overcast - actually it was only 17 degrees as we started out. And the wind was in my favor.        
 Came to our first bush camp around 3 pm and met much of the group sitting in the rest area protected from the sun drinking beer or soft drinks. Had a couple of cokes and the wonderful soup that Mark (he took over the job as cook after Jon left in Alice) makes for us to take every day after riding. Found a spot to put my tent (ants and burrs unavoidable) - and it blew away just after. I ran after it and had it fixed to the ground with my heavy bag inside. It is quite unpleasant to get in and out of my tent as it is very low. Also the whole logistics with daily and permanent bag is tough. Did a wrong movement the other day and kind of overstretched my groin. It still hurts when I do certain movements. Not 17 anymore..
 Well the highlight of the evening in the bush was Gerald's outdoors cinema. He showed "Mad Max" from the late 70's going on at the Stuart Highway. I look forward to other movies related to Australia that he will play when we are at bush camps. Had an ok sleep in the tent - it got cold and I went into my sleeping bag first time on the tour - cosy!
 The 108 k's ride today was tough as the wind was against and pretty strong. Luckily I went in peloton again - we were 6 of us and it worked out really fine. Came to a roadhouse already at 12 and put my tent on a nice flat lawn partly in shade. I deliberately did not take a cabin!
 Spent a couple of hours at the rather big and refreshing swimming pool, did my laundry and showered. Rider's meeting at 5 and dinner just after.
 Tomorrow we leave Northern Territories to go to South Australia - but there will not be a big change in our daily rides until we reach the ocean in another couple of weeks..
 Out in the bush tomorrow again..

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar