onsdag den 26. november 2014

Tenting, freezing, having headwind - but I still love it!

Had a day just being relaxed in Adelaide. Enjoyed my nice room, had some great meals, went to the hairdresser and had a pedicure. But most important was the purchase of my third camping mattress, an eiderdown sleeping bag, a small camel bag and 4 compartmentalizing bags.. I want (and need) all these things now - but will also be set for another long distance tenting bicycle trip having this equipment. Yes, in Indonesia I was considering that this might be my last trip - but this have changed. With good health and strong legs I fully enjoy visiting a new continent on my bike. I must admit that I am hungry for more of this.. Of course Australia is the changing point here. I just adore being here. And of course South America and/or Africa will be completely different - but still including some of the things that I love so much about traveling this way.. Anyway the mattress works perfectly (the 3rd time is the time of luck) and my new sleeping bag is a total hit for me. And I overview all my possessions in my duffel bag better than ever with my new nice bags that help me a lot keeping things organized. So far so good. I DID camp for 2 days in a row - and enjoyed it - especially the first night..
The whole group is in kind of chock because of the sudden cold we are experiencing here. It is down to 8 degrees during the nights. And not much warmer when we start riding at 6.30 in the morning.. There is a lot of dew so the tents are all wet when we pack them in our bags. Not a very pleasing start of the day. Freeze for the first hour or so on the bike and cannot really take more clothes on as I do not have any more. Expect it to get warmer as we are going north (closer to equator) - but when will this happen? Today I was still cold after a short days (approx. 90 k's) ride. The camp is just next to the ocean - super beautiful - but totally cold as there is a strong cold wind coming in from out there. So I decided that not even my new wonderful sleeping bag will be enough to keep me warm. So took a cabin again - with heating!! Could not imagine this just a bit over a week ago when we were still sweating at the Stewart Highway..
 Riding has been really nice after Adelaide. Did 2 days around 150 k's - the one starting with a pretty steep climb followed by a gravel path that could not be cycled. So felt a bit like the one day back in Indonesia where I got really angry about the walking up a very steep path. But this one was a lot shorter - and ended up in a beautiful area lying high up over the city and bay - with trees to the side of the road - and some open sections - where all of a sudden a kangaroo was standing following us turning his head to see. They seem so human these animals with their stirring eyes and their upright position - and super cute! But they can be dangerous - grabbing you with it's arms and scratching you - so no going to close.. Saw a whole field of kangaroos today - overwhelming!
 We have had some long and lonesome stretches here also - and some really bad headwind - but we are getting hardcore - and just keep on going! All of a sudden things soften up - like this morning where we left the route for a couple of kilometers and reached to a town with the most wonderful little coffeeshop nicely decorated and offering freshly squeezed juices, the best coffee and home baked cakes. This is just typical Australia - wilderness and perfection - all mixed up - I love it!

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar