tirsdag den 4. november 2014

Good racing to a "very interesting" campground..

The race was fun. I was camping during the night - and now know for sure that my mattress do not hold air! Well, although the quality of sleep was not the best my spirit for competing did not go down. I was around number 7 to start out of 19 competitors - and really  did my best to be fast all the way.  Was 9 coming in and 12 when it comes to time - happy about that! Was completely exhausted at the lunch just after - we came in before 9 pm after 50 k's of racing - my time was 2.12 something - I think.. That means an average time a fraction higher than the one I gave in.. Went slow afterwards but still arrived before noon to a joke of a campground. Barrow Creak seems to already have gone bankrupt - all bathrooms except two like ruins: smashed mirrors and "capsized" toilets. Old trash all over the place - and a "new" building never finished.. A character of a bar tender + multi tasking person in charge of everything - that explains that absolutely everything there was filthy and nonfunctioning.. Ending with no water the following morning - good that TDA at least supply us with water for hand wash..
From left: Eric (France), Dara (Englan/USA), Mary (Canada), myself, Ursula+Ray (Canada) and John (Canada) behind the  quite peculiar but typical bar - the only place that worked kind of properly at Barrow Creak.
Did my 2nd consecutive day of tenting - and had my first night with a decent sleep at an unshady, sandy campground - had to inflate my mattress in the middle of the night - and started out with legs and arms all itching from the bites of invisible insects.. But had my little fan running and did some reading before I went to sleep - the moon shining full in my tent (just the mesh up - no fly needed) - and later a wonderful night sky full of stars - the most precious wonders of tenting!
 Today we had another 150 k's day - all fine..  Tomorrow we arrive at Alice Springs for a 3 days rest - and will go to Uluru (Ayer's rock) the early morning after for a 2 days trip organized by Ursula, one of the tour participants. Tomorrow we are halfway (approx. 1500 km) between Darwin and Adelaide..

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar